Tuesday 4 January 2011

COFFIE



Happy New Year everyone! I hope you've all enjoyed Christmas and you're having a wonderful start to 2011.


This is the first illustration I've done for the year and it can take some effort to start new work after a period of no creative activity. A friend of mine recently asked me how I start my illustrations - whether they begin as a concrete idea or with a more spontaneous freeform approach. The truth is, it's somewhere in the middle. I do tend to start with fairly vague concept in mind but most of the details are built up as I work.

For this illustration, all I knew before I began was that I wanted to create a strong image of a black woman with distinctive ethnic features as I hadn't really done that in any of my work before. I also wanted her to have a braided hairstyle. All details such as her pose, the gold ear/hair piece and the background were thought of and included as the work progressed.

There's something really special about starting with just a rough idea and the process of developing that idea into the final artwork.


Follow Me - Facebook/Twitter

Also, a little while ago, I was asked to donate some of my artwork to be auctioned off at a charity fashion event coming up later this month. I hastily agreed before realizing that I have no prints of my work to offer and I have no idea where to start. If anyone can offer any advice on professionally printing and packaging artwork, I would be very grateful! Thank you :)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment! Really made my day x

    Why not follow my blog to keep up to date with all my latest designs? Take care x

    Louboutininthemaking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. Do you use markers or pencils or both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Leon - I use pencils, oil pastels and I also use Photoshop to add colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is really beautiful. You have an unusual style, it kind of reminds me of art deco elements of architecture I see in old New York buildings. It's highly controlled and beautifully ornamented. Most illustrators I see who have fashion blogs usually have a very loose, and quickly done look to their drawings. Anyway, nice to see your blog and check mine out too, I do some illustrations but I haven't found my style yet.

    http://stephaniejoellelouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Stephanie, thanks for this comment! I always appreciate when I receive detailed feedback like this as it's always good to have an understanding of how people see your work. I'll check out your blog now :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Opinions? I gladly welcome them! x